Friday, April 30, 2010

Bonaire Day


Saturday 6th September
Bonaire day.
Biker enthusiasts arrive from Curacao and Aruba shipping their bikes over for the weekend, Harley's, Ducat’s every possible bike you can imagine here for this weekend. Then they all tour the island in convoy, it’s quite spectacular to watch, but you really need ear plugs as it’s deafening to listen to.

I woke up at 3am and left the boat at 4:25am, Nicolette’s plane was due in at 5am. The plane landed at 5:10am but it took over an hour to clear everyone through customs. Niki and I arrived back at the boat around 6:15, she was tired and hungry so I made her some scrambled eggs, then she went back to bed for a couple of hours.

After lunch we both went across to the local beach to snorkel. Nicolette was as amazed by the marine life as I had been on my first snorkel here, there’s so much to see, and not just the fish. The reefs around Bonaire boast spectacular gardens of coral, underwater flora, crustaceans and some really incredible varieties of sponge’s, we saw some massive purple stove-pipe sponges, and hundreds of feather duster worms (or fan worms).

It was hard to tear ourselves away, but Bob was due back and I didn’t want to be out when he arrived.

Niki and I got back to the boat around 2:30 just as Bob arrived. Once he was unpacked and changed we had a cocktail then we all went back to the beach for another snorkel. The snorkeling is so wonderful here, I can’t seem to stay out of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment