Tuesday, April 6, 2010

No Turning Back Now


When I stopped and allowed myself to actually think about what we were about to do, it scared me to death, and has caused me on many occasions to question my sanity. I was undertaking the unknown. I've heard so many stories of people who give up everything conventional and land based, to take to the sea, swapping earth for water one might say! Unfortunately my only ocean going experiences were through books, which consisted of; 117 Days Adrift, Pirates Aboard, and Godforsaken Sea. Not surprisingly, none of this reading material had exactly filled me with the desire to throw caution to the wind and take to the sea changing my name to 'Long Jane Silver'!
My early enthusiasm for our proposed upcoming change in lifestyle was dwindling fast... The sale of our home took a lengthy 18 months, due to the economic crash that occurred just as the house hit the market, as always our timing had been less than perfect. During this time we traveled to and fro between our boat 'Crazy Daisy' (from this point on referred to simply as Daisy) which was happily situated in the beautiful islands of the Caribbean, specifically the British Virgin Islands, and our home in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Once the house was sold, we put all our possessions into storage, moved our youngest daughter, Daniela into a town house near her school, and our son Edward into an apartment near his school. Our eldest daughter Nicolette had already spread her wings and settled in Atlanta a few years earlier. With our family comfortably situated in their various locations we were at last free to travel, and move permanently onto our dreamboat, Daisy. OH, did I forget to mention, I'm terrified of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment