Friday, February 4, 2011

Sex on the Bus

We took the taxi from the marina to the bus terminal in Colon ($20), where the busses run to Panama City every 20 minutes ($2.50).  The bus was almost full, but luckily we managed to find seats together.  At the first stop more people got on and it was standing room only, one of the passengers was an old lady with a little girl, I gave her my seat and I stood in the isle.
There was a television on the bus playing a movie, I hadn’t paid much attention to it when I got on,  I was much more interested in the scenery outside.  Colon seems very poor, almost all of the buildings are dilapidated, garbage litters the streets, and the police and soldiers continue to run around waving their automatic weapons like toys.  This isn’t somewhere I would choose to walk around after dark.  

As the bus headed out into the countryside, which unlike the town was beautiful, I was paying attention to the scenery, looking for monkeys, they are so easy to spot here, I saw 3 on the way to the bus terminal.
Unfortunately the roads here are not great, there are deep potholes everywhere, and each time the bus hit one I lost my balance, and a couple of times almost landed in a passengers lap.

The noise from the movie that was playing was distracting, it was very violent and bloody, lots of gunshots and swearing, I was surprised that such a movie would be shown on a bus with children.
Each checkpoint the bus stopped at there were at least 2 soldiers armed with automatic weapons, at one checkpoint one of the soldiers got on the bus to look at the passengers as if he was looking for someone, I almost felt as though I was taking part in a movie. 
At one stop enough people got off to free up some seats and I was finally able to sit down.  From my seat I had clear view to the television, which had now moved from the violence in the streets to the bedroom, where a very graphic sex scene was taking place.  Who would have thought, sex on the bus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment