Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fun in Los Testigos


I can't begin to describe what its like waking up in paradise, it takes my breath away and leaves me speechless, something that rarely happens.
The morning sky was cerulean blue, the breeze warm and gentle as it caressed the skin, the ocean still like glass, both turquoise and clear at the same time. The beach we were anchored off had pearly pink sand and was littered with some of the most beautiful shells. It was so peaceful and quiet, with only the sounds of the waves gently lapping the shore.
Bob took Danni ashore for an early morning run while I stayed to clean and tidy the boat. After breakfast we took the dinghy and followed Rene and Cheryl to a small inlet where we anchored our dinghy's and waded ashore. We had to climb a very steep sand dune. Some of the dunes in Los Testigos reach over 100 meters high (and I think this was one of them!) I thought I was going to die as my lungs threatened to explode, I was sweating profusely, and had to stop every few steps to get my breath back. The day was already becoming stiflingly hot, and between the steepness of the slope, and the powdery sand slipping beneath my feet, it was a difficult climb to say the least. Once we reached the top, the view was breathtaking, we could just make out the Venezuelan coastline on the horizon through the heat haze. I stayed there admiring the view and desperately trying to regain my composure, I could hardly take a breath I was so exhausted. Eventually we followed the others down the other side of the dune to the most incredible beach I have ever seen, now this has to be "the best beach in the Caribbean", without a doubt. The sand was so powdery soft, pure white like snow, and immaculately clean, The beach was very wide sloping gently down to the shore where enormous waves crashed upon it. I couldn't wait to get in. The waves were strong and knocked me off my feet more than once, and it was difficult trying to swim as the current was so strong, but the water temperature was perfect, cool and refreshing and clear as crystal. Luci and John from one of the other boats in the fleet were there with their 2 boys Simi and Theo, they had their boogie boards and were having a blast surfing the waves. Two fishermen were not far from the shore in a little fishing boat, and we watched them haul out a huge stingray. Danni had a go on the boys boogie boards, without too much success but it was fun to watch.
We stayed and played in the water for an hour, everyone had brought their waterproof cameras and we had fun taking each others photographs, until we realized that our skin was starting to turn to charcoal in the intense heat, we needed to head back to cover quickly. We gathered our things from the beach and started to make our way back to the dinghy. The sand had become so hot in the last hour it was like walking on burning coals, Danni was in tears with the pain as the sand was burning the soles of her feet through her flip flops. we ran to the shade of the trees making as hasty a retreat as possible. Kris and the boys used the boogie boards as sleds to slide down the dune back to the dinghy's.
Once back on the boat we popped open a bottle of champagne and enjoyed a delicious crab salad for lunch, before taking a lazy afternoon nap.
This was Heaven, indescribable beauty, delicious food and wine, great friends, no mosquitoes or flys, I think I could stay here forever.
Late afternoon Bob got in the water to clean around the waterline, and check under the boat, while Danni and I were busy in the galley, we had everyone coming to our boat for cocktails and hors de ouvres tonight. We made tapenade with toast points, gorgonzola and nut samosas, cheese and pineapple sticks, Danni made her wonderful salsa to serve with the tortilla chips. Luci brought a selection of her fabulous home made sushi, and Cheryl brought a large bowl of popcorn for the boys, We had a lovely evening, everyone had a good time. It had been a truly memorable day in Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment