Monday, January 16, 2012

Sleepless in Panama

So, its 4 am and I'm awake, not because I've been to sleep and woken up, but because I haven't been to sleep at all.  The wind's been blowing so hard since yesterday morning, all the lines are clanking loudly against all the boats masts making a real din, it's impossible to shut out the noise.   From inside my cabin it sounds like 50 knot winds blowing outside, I know it's not, but it's so damn noisy.  Daisy is swaying in her slip and straining against her dock lines, I have to keep getting up and checking we're still OK, which we are, Bob spent ages before he left making sure we were tied alongside securely, but I get so nervous when alone on the boat I worry about everything.  This isn't fun and once again I find myself dreaming of my safe, quiet home so far away in snowy Ohio. I love the snow, I was born in December, so I suppose it's more natural to me, and I've never much minded the cold, but I really, really hate the wind, I find it exhausting, noisy, and frightening at times, the wind is not my friend. 

I have new neighbors here on the dock, they arrived yesterday afternoon from the San Blas.  I asked them how the sail back was,  because it had been so windy all day I was reminded of the horrific sail Bob and I had just a couple of weeks ago.  They said it was rough with consistent 30 knot winds, but they didn't seem worried about it.  Most of the people here don't worry about that, but then they're here because they love to sail, its just nervous ninnies like me who worry about it...

I went for another walk in the jungle yesterday morning alone with my camera, and got some more photographs.   I saw some beautiful birds and butterflies. I think I should like to have been a nature photographer.

This butterfly was the size of my hand



This beautiful little guy had wings like white velvet, and a furry hat







1 comment:

  1. I discovered that the green and brown butterfly above is a Malachite, from the Nymphalidae family, and has a wing span of up to 3 1/4 inches.

    ReplyDelete