Sunday, January 15, 2012

Last Seen !

Back in Portobelo, the water was so calm Bob suggested that we go exploring.  The plan had been to take the dinghy to the other side of the bay to which we were anchored, and go ashore, but having gone up and down the coast a couple of times we were unable to find anywhere to bring the dinghy ashore, so we continued on to the far corner of the bay where we came across an inlet,  we turned in and proceeded to follow the river into the jungle.



There were beautiful Curlew birds, Storks, Pelicans, Humming birds, Parrots and kingfishers in the branches of the trees surrounding the river, it was so pretty, and quiet other than the howler monkeys calling some distance away, although we didn't manage to see any.

White Ibis

File:Ara chloropterus -Zoo de Pont-Scorff, Morbihan, France-8a.jpg
Red & Green Macaws


About 30 minutes into our exploration we came to a large lagoon, the water was as still as glass, white flashes from the storks and egrets punctuated the dark green of the surrounding jungle. I imagined  crocodiles lurking all around us under the mangroves watching and scheming, I wondered whether they would attack, puncturing the dinghy with their razor sharp teeth and eating us for lunch;  somewhat dramatic of me again, but this is how my sad little mind works.  I kept myself busy disturbing the silence with the clicking of my camera, attempting to capture the many birds in the lagoon.

Whimbrel's


After a few minutes we turned to head back, and as we slowly made our way along the river, I could hear the distant rumble of engine.  "Is that a speedboat?"  I asked Bob, as the engine noise got gradually louder (and closer), I thought about our situation, we were a couple of miles away from all the other boats, up a small river in the jungle, no one knew we were here, and no one would know if we didn't return to our boat.
As the noise of the approaching speed boat closed in on us I really started to get anxious,  a voice in my head kept repeating "the Morgans were last seen, " then suddenly in a rush of water a see doo flew around the bend in the river towards us at great speed, the guy driving saw us, spun around and headed back leaving us bouncing around in his wake.  I breathed a sigh of relief, but then felt angry that he had disturbed the beauty and silence of the river, not to mention scaring off any wildlife (and me).  I consoled myself that things could have been worse, and we headed back to Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment