Monday, January 23, 2012

Bewitched !

So, one minute I'm in Shelter Bay, Panama, having a blast hiking through the jungle taking photographs, hanging out in the bar at night with my friends, cheffing in the restaurant, complaining about the comments from the (MCP's) but generally enjoying life, when suddenly 9 O'clock Saturday night I get a call from Bob, "Danni was kicked by a horse, she's in hospital, and you're booked on the morning flight from Panama City (2 hours away) back here".


Thank God for my dear friend Lynn & (executive chef) Chris, 2 of the wonderful friends I have here in Shelter Bay, they both have, and still are helping me.  Closing up the boat takes a while, there are so many things to do, and I can't stress enough my gratitude for my neighbors and friends there that are looking after Daisy for us until we get back, although having said that, it may only be Bob going back, I'm still undecided, and I need to see how Danni is, and how much help she needs.
I didn't sleep that night,  I was up all night packing, cleaning and preparing the boat for my departure at 5:30am. I feel very sad that leaving as suddenly as I did I didn't get to say goodbye to some of the lovely people I got to know, and have become very fond of, and possibly may not see again.

It all happened so quickly, in a blinking of an eye, or a twitch of a nose, as in Bewitched, I went from being in Panama to arriving in Columbus.  It was as if I had been "beamed up".  My flights were with Continental/United, and I can't say a single thing bad about them, they could not have been more helpful.  When the flight from Panama arrived (30 minutes late) in Newark, I had 50 minutes to deplane, clear immigration, collect my checked luggage, clear customs, re-check luggage, go through security (again) and make my flight...  Immigration was quick, but waiting for the checked luggage took a full nerve racking 25 minutes, my connecting flight was due to leave at 4:59pm, and it was already 4:36, I cursed myself for checking luggage, without I wouldn't have had a problem.

When the luggage finally arrived I almost ran through the customs area, thank goodness they didn't stop me, but then having re-checked my bag, I ran at full speed to the security gate and (no exaggeration) there must have been 800 to 1,000 people in line, I had about 8 minutes to clear security and get to the gate before it closed, had I stood in line that would have been impossible, so I went to one of the officials and explained that I only had 10 minutes to get my flight, I had to get back to Ohio because my daughter was in hospital, was there any way they could put me to the front of the line?  Without question the official immediately took me to the front of the employee security line, and I was through in the blinking of an eye, I ran to the gate which was waiting for me, as soon as I boarded they closed the door and we left, I couldn't believe my luck, or rather the fantastic customer service that I received from the Continental/United staff.

My plane into Columbus arrived early, and I was able to get to the hospital to see Danni.

Sometimes things happen so fast we barely even notice what's going on around us, but I really have to give thanks to all the Continental/United staff that helped me make it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment