Friday, January 13, 2012

Butterflies & Dead Batteries!



Saturday January 7th
Daisy was still rocking in the bay, and I really, really needed some stillness, I was continuously giddy, I needed to feel some terra firma beneath my feet for a while.  So we packed our insect repellent, sun tan lotion, bottled water, beer, binoculars, cameras and walking shoes and headed ashore. 
We tied the dinghy on the dock, and made our way along the pretty shorefront past hoards of scantily clad, enormous beer guts, boob jobs and butt cracks, all on unashamed display; I really have to say, “not very attractive”!  People have no shame; they seem believe a beach gives them license to display as much body fat as possible, without thought of consequence to any unfortunate onlookers.
Saturday is obviously the day when everyone within boat or ferry distance flocks to Isle Grande to play on the beaches, swim, barbeque, drink and generally be merry, chickens should run for their lives, they were being barbequed on every corner, the island was busier than I’ve ever seen it.  All the colorful little beach front houses had loud music playing, people were gathered in groups on front porches and around picnic tables on the beach, the restaurants and bars were full, and all the hammocks across the island seemed occupied, the ferry boats were working overtime transporting people to the island, children were running around laughing and playing, there was a strong party atmosphere, it almost felt like carnival.
We headed away from the crowds, inland and up, working our way through the little shantytown of brightly painted ramshackle houses with their lines of washing and hoards of little children.  Isle Grande is a very small island, but its lush with rich flora and fauna, and has a wealth of beautiful butterflies and birds, and we were hoping to photograph as many as possible.  The island has no roads, just sandy paths.  Several times the magnificent Panama Blue butterfly flew past us, but sadly they were too fast for me to capture them on film.  Panama Blue’s are absolutely beautiful, they’re bright iridescent blue, and bigger than my hand, but also fast! After about an hour of chasing butterflies through the brush we headed back. On the way we passed an adorable little white-faced monkey, he seemed to be playing peek a boo with me, I got some cute shots of him.  We also found a couple of lovely little bright green parakeets that let me get close enough to take their picture.
I think he's telling me to go away



Now I know he's telling me to go away

Panama Green parrot.
yes I did get this close
All Photo's by me :o)




We walked back to the shorefront and then to the East end of the island, following the footpath that lead us to another track up a very steep path towards the old lighthouse. When we got up to the top, the lock on the gate securing the fence around the lighthouse was broken, and the door to the lighthouse itself was unlocked and open, I wanted to go in and climb to the top, but Bob wasn’t happy about me doing it, so instead I looked for more butterflies.  I came across a fabulous bright orange one, (I apologize for not knowing its name) I’d spotted them several times throughout the day, but been unable to capture any on film, and this one was there right in front of me sitting on a leaf with its huge, beautiful bright orange wings open, I couldn’t believe my luck, I picked up my camera and tried to focus, it was so close, I was really excited this was going to be an incredible shot, but just as got the shot all lined up my battery went dead…   Crap, Crap, Crap ! 
OH well I just better go back again tomorrow, and hope for better luck (and a fully charged battery).

No comments:

Post a Comment