Friday, January 20, 2012

Chef Daisy

Thursday 19th January

My dream of being a professional chef was fulfilled briefly today, when I worked the dinner service at The Dock Restaurant, in Shelter Bay.  Chris Young the executive chef and manager of the hotel and restaurant decided to host a guest chef night, and my good friend Lynn and I were convinced to be the first participants.  It had taken Chris a few weeks to talk us in to doing it, not that we didn't want to, both Lynn and I were very keen, but this is a lovely restaurant that Chris has worked very hard in over the past year to raise the standards of both the food and service, and we didn't want to do anything that was going to change that.  One disastrous service could tarnish an otherwise spotless reputation.  Lynn is a fantastic cook, and I like to think I am too, but we're not professionals, that's a whole different ball game.  Anyway one boozy night at the bar we both accepted the challenge.  
We were to design a menu for the night's specials.  The usual menu would be made and served by the restaurant staff, but Lynn and I would be in sole charge of the nights specials.  The kitchen, while a professional one was quite small and about 120 degrees, and with 8 of us working in there it was going to be a challenge.  The restaurant and kitchen staff were unbelievably helpful, and patient with us.  Lynn and I spent the later part of the afternoon in the preparation of the entree and garnish.  Chris had ordered the food we requested,  showed us around the kitchen, how to prep our entree, then we were left to it.
I had spent the last two days making my desert on board Daisy, as the restaurants kitchen oven had been out of order for a day.  I wanted to make something that would require no cooking on the day, but could be quickly plated with all the preparation done ahead of time.  This alone had been a challenge because my oven is so small, I had to make about 200 profiteroles but was only able to cook 30 at a time. I was making cream filled profiteroles with a rum caramel sauce.  The profiteroles could be cooked a day in advance, the cream whipped and stored in the fridge until needed, along with the rum caramel sauce.  For the appetizer I made tapenade served on crostini with salad garnish.    Lynn was in charge of the entree.
At 3 in the afternoon we donned our chefs jackets and got to work. By 7 O'clock the restaurant was absolutely packed with all the tables both inside and outside full.  Our special proved to be really popular and we were both kept busy for the entire night.
I don't know when I've worked so hard and had so much fun.  I may even (given the opportunity) do it again.

The Dock Restaurant, Special

Tappenade 
served with Crostini

Almond & Coconut 
Crusted Fish
with a 
Creamy Pineapple, Cilantro & lime dipping sauce
served over 
Sweet Potato Fries
&
Red Beet Slaw

Cream filled Profiteroles
with a Rum, Caramel Sauce


Photo's to follow



2 comments:

  1. That Sounds Delicious!
    I am sooo proud of you mum, you are a great Chef and i hope one day we can start our own little place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darling, I had fun, and I would like nothing more than to run a restaurant with you :o) One day...

      Delete