Wednesday, November 24, 2010

And then I fell down !



Monday 22nd November

So today was really busy again with both of us working flat out to get all the jobs done.  The guys in the boat yard were not happy with me for using one of their workshops over the weekend and getting flaked paint and rust dust all over the floor.  I asked for a sweeping brush so I could clean up when I finished, but as they don’t speak much English they thought I was asking them to clean it up, it didn’t make me too popular, this is from guys who carelessly throw all their tools loose in a box when they finish work, whatever!
Today is the first day since we got back that it hasn’t rained, but its as humid as hell, I’m sweating for England, and no one here is in a great mood, although the mosquitoes are happy they're busy breeding faster than rabbits. The boatyard wants us to move Daisy, but we still have not repaired the windless, so we can’t drop anchor, and there are no available slips for us.
The floor is still up in the saloon, and we are climbing over toolboxes, generator casings, and baskets of stuff.  The lady arrived with our dodger and seat cushions that she had replaced the zippers on, along with the bill for $527… Wow, I really should have been a seamstress!  We dumped the dodger inside on the salon table, yet more stuff to cover the  only remaining uncovered surface left in the boat!
The rigger came today, but didn’t finish so he’s coming back tomorrow after he finishes up another job on another boat.  We invited him to stay for a beer before he left, and then we sat on deck drinking beer and chatting.  I went below to get some antiseptic cream because another bite on my leg had started bleeding; it was totally dark inside now and I'd forgotten the generator cover was off and the floorboards were up, and as I stepped onto the bottom step that wasn't there, I fell hard, I heard a crack and my right foot went limp like a rag doll, not good.  It hurt like hell and I was sure I had broken my ankle.  Bob wanted to take me to the hospital, but the thought of hours and hours sitting in the emergency room wasn't very appealing so I said "no, lets wait and see how it looks in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment