Tuesday, January 18, 2011

On Route to the San Blas Islands.


Saturday 1st January 2011
Having made the decision to sail on through the night, it wasn’t long before the winds picked up and we were able to raise the sails.
We sped through the night averaging 8 – 9 knots of speed, with 20+ knots of wind.  The seas were big building to 4+ meter waves so the passage was a little rolly, but without the engine running it was blissfully quiet.  While sitting up on deck both Danni and I both got stung by bees.  Not something you would normally expect while miles out at sea.
I usually am not a great fan of night sailing, but between the bioluminescent streaks in our wake, and the incredible jeweled night sky above us, it seemed as though we were surrounded by iridescent lights. 
While I was on watch we must have passed close to a whale, as I noticed the sudden distinct aroma of whale breath, it’s a strong fishy scent; Unfortunately In the dark I was unable to see anything.
We had the water-maker running, and I was really looking forward to a shower. We had run our water supply dry in Cartagena and had been unable to make any water while we were there because the bay water was so filthy.
Boat life has really given me a chance to appreciate some of the simple things in life that I previously had taken for granted, like fresh water, and the ability to take a shower; it’s such a luxury.
It took us 24 hours to reach the San Blas Islands.  We arrived and 9:30am. Heavy rain clouds hovered threateningly over some of the islands and the mainland of Panama, we headed to Isla Pinos, the only island under a patch of blue sky.   I get such a thrill arriving at places I’ve never even heard of.
The sea was green and murky, and Daniela was disappointed, as she had been looking forward to swimming in crystal clear water, although she was quite happy not to swim once Bob told her about all the Crocodiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment