Friday, January 28, 2011

The Joy of Varnishing

This morning I was up again before dawn to sand the toe rail ready for another coat of varnish.  By 7:15, I was finished sanding, and all cleaned up ready to put the next coat on.  It was a lovely morning with blue sky and sunshine, at 8:45 I think its ok to start, it doesn't look like rain.  I get 1/4 of the way along then the marina gardener arrives; Daisy is the first on the dock next to the mangroves and the gardens,  the gardener starts up the brush cutter, and before I can blink grass and dust is flying everywhere.

Frieda went over to ask him if he would mind cutting the far side first because of the wet varnish, he moved maybe 5 feet, not enough to make a difference, I see all the bits landing on my nice varnish, so then Frank arrives (the dock master)  he immediately sees the problem and asks the man to please move, so he does and I carry on to finish the rest of the varnishing.



I have not even finished cleaning my brush when it suddenly starts to rain, for just 30 seconds we have a downpour, barely enough to make anything wet, but enough to ruin my varnish... I was so mad, but then I would probably have had to re-do it anyway because of all the dust from the gardener.
 OH I just love boat life!

No comments:

Post a Comment