Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Back in Panama...

OH to be back in the islands. Where the weather is fabulous, the people are friendly, the beer is a dollar, and a full dinner with wine and a gin & tonic is less than $10.

Following a day of travel that started at 5am, and finished at 6pm, I was really quite exhausted.

 I flew from Atlanta on American Airlines, who have now dropped even further in my book of airlines NOT to fly with.  Following an early am start, with a quick Starbucks at the airport, I boarded my first flight, where I was served coffee (clearly not Starbucks!) with a teaspoon full of peanuts!  In their favor I should add that even though the flight left 30 minutes late, it arrived on time.  Although during the flight they did not serve a breakfast, or in fact offer anything to eat other than the teaspoon of peanuts. But I was hopeful of food on my next flight, since I had to run from one flight to the next without even time to make a potty stop, and absolutely no time to pick up food.
Sadly on the flight I had been sitting next to a guy who's breath smelt like rotting cow dung, really, OH Dear God it was horrible, then the guy in the seat behind me was snorting the whole time like a pig, I wanted to offer him a handkerchief with the advice to please blow his nose, but he was about 6'10" and 350 pounds, so I just put my headphones on and covered my nose... I could have been in a farmyard, to say it was an unplesant flight would be an understatement.

On my flight to Panama,  only first class passengers were served lunch, so everyone else in economy got to enjoy the smells of the food being served, and listen to the clink of the wine glasses, but were offered nothing at all in the way of lunch, or even snacks. I was sat near the front of the plane so I got to enjoy the strongest food aromas, but had no food to actually eat, and I was bloody starving. Even the flight attendants commented on the food smells, I think they were embaressed... Nice, American Airlines!!!  thank you so much... No, I will not choose to fly with you again...

In Panama I had a tight connection, and I didn't even know where the connection was, it turned out to be outside the airport in another small terminal, I won't go into the fiasco that lead to my finally locating it.

Being in a country where I don't speak the language, and they don't speak English, can make life very trying, thankfully sign language works.

At 3:30, 6 of us climbed into the tiny plane,  and made the 25 minute flight across to Panama City, where I took another short flight (Taca airlines) to Bocas, the joke is, the little 45 minute flight offered me more food and refreshments than the 3 1/2 hour flight with American Airlines.

When I arrived at the marina I couldn't get any power working on the boat, so I decided to leave everything until Bob arrives tomorrow, I had dinner at the marina restaurant, and went to bed at 7:30.

This morning it poured (and poured) with rain, but by mid morning the sun was out and  everything had dried out,  all I have to do now is unpack, and work out where the Hell I can put everything I brought back with me.

I'm really hoping Bob gets here before dark tonight, so he can get the power on.  Despite my horrible travel, it is beautiful here and I'm actually happy to be back...

More to follow...

So happy to be back :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment