Monday, October 3, 2011

Is This Possible?

As embarrassing as this is to write I'm quite determined to do it.  I'm already making preparations for my return to Daisy in November, which of course brings about the very scary thought of me in a swimsuit again.  
All my suits are looking just a little more than a tad tired, I'm ashamed to say I have over the last couple of years stretched them to the limit, and the fabrics are now breaking down and screaming for help.  I've not  been able to bring myself to buy new suits, because my growing passion in the culinary arts has gone hand in hand with my steadily increasing waistline.  Not to mention the horror I feel when I try on a swimsuit and see how it looks, I could easily double for Sponge Bob Square Pants!   
If you were to browse through my "Daisy's Galley" blog you would see exactly why there is now so much more of me, and honestly I'm no longer in a position to criticise other people for their inappropriate beach wear.
My concerns about my appearance really hit home when I was shopping with my Mum in Weston last month,  and I caught sight of my reflection in a shop window, that horrific revelation was closely followed by my needing a size 20 in a t-shirt in Marks and Spencer's.  Typically for me (lately) I brushed off the reflection by kidding myself that the glass was bent therefor making me look bigger than I actually am, and that Marks and Spencer clothes are always much smaller than the labels say.  Anyway, I get home and put on my new (size 20) t-shirt to show my Mum and she says " I think you could have done with a bigger size" (I hadn't told her what the size was) that remark coupled with the fact that the size 16 pants I bought with the t-shirt wouldn't do up, opened my eyes!  I really can't fool myself any longer that I'm OK, I'm officially FAT!
So, what to do about it?  I don't agree with fad diets, or any diets actually, they only work as long as you stick to them, and the minute you stop dieting and return to your normal way of life, all the pounds you lost pile back on, and then some...
There are, and never will be miracle weight loss tablets, or miracle cure's for weight loss that's permanent.  The ONLY way to lose weight, and keep it off is to adjust your life style.    Learn to embrace sensible eating, and adopt a doable exercise program.  
All these silly diets where you only eat grapefruit, or cut out all carbs, or dairy etc, etc, etc are all designed to help you lose weight fast, but if it comes off fast it will go on fast too.  You have to ask yourself when you're doing whatever diet your doing, can you do this for the rest of your life?  If your answer is no then forget it, you'll be yo-yoing your weight, and jumping from one starvation diet to the next forever...

The trouble for me is I really love cooking, and eating, and drinking wine, and margarita's and no I can't give up any of those things, I would be fooling myself if I thought I could.  
Over the last couple of decade's I've skipped from one fad diet to the next, you name it and I'm sure to have tried it, and yes, they all worked, but each time I slipped back into my old routine of eating whatever whenever, and turning the mirror to face the wall so I couldn't see my shame,  the pounds steadily packed themselves back on.  
There are a million excuses for not doing something positive about your eating habits, like, I'll start my diet on Monday, or after my vacation, or after Christmas, or I need comfort food because I'm feeling down, this attitude is a guaranteed recipe for failure.  
Determination is required, coupled with an eating /drinking program that suits you as an individual.  

I made the decision that I have to do something different before I'm forced to start buying elasticated waist's and shopping at Burlington.  My daughter Daniela has been nagging me for months to do something about my weight, as she is really concerned for my health.  I've put off, and put off, for the last few years making any changes because I hate being hungry, and I hate not being able to eat and drink all the things that I love.

So, I've set myself a sensible, achievable goal, that includes all the foods I love, bread, chocolate cake, risotto, pizza's, curry's, scampi etc, all incorporated into my new eating regime.

Starting right now...  Wish me luck :o)

3 comments:

  1. So what are you going to do that will enable you to lose weight an still eat and drink all those forbidden foods? please tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much weight are you hoping to lose? and what are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do it with you! lately, my motivation to get to the gym has dwindled and my motivation to walk to the fridge has skyrocketed.

    ReplyDelete