Monday, December 5, 2011

Robbed...

I need to be careful about how I write this, as I'm currently in a country where its not wise to upset officials.   But I just need to say something.  It's an unfortunate fact in life that one has to learn through mistakes, and I made a big (expensive) mistake yesterday by trusting, or rather taking for granted that I could trust someone just because they were in a uniform, in a position of power, dealing with official business.

Perhaps its naive of me, but I have always trusted people like Police, and others in positions of power who demand your respect because of the very position they hold in society, a position that assures you they can be trusted, they have been awarded that power because they have earned it.

It's a sad state of affairs when that person abuses their power, to steal from the very people they should be protecting.  And I will not easily trust or respect people in future just because their uniform tells me I should, or because they hold some particular position of power.  I hate that this makes me so cynical and suspicious, and also, in all honesty, a bit of an idiot.

I wish I could go into more details of what happened to me, because it really was my own stupid fault for taking someones honesty for granted, being so trusting, and not being more guarded and careful,  but I believe that while I am where I am right now,  it would be very unwise of me to go into actual details.

I don't feel unsafe here in the marina, far from it, I'm surrounded by so many wonderful people, the marina is full of us crazy yachties/boat bums,  and the security is really very good here, we even have armed guards on the gate.  I genuinely like many of the people who work here, and my neighbors are within shouting distance, I'm probably a lot safer here than I would be in a city.

I need to learn to simply be more suspicious, and guarded in future, and remember that position and power does not go hand in hand with intelligence and integrity.

I just have to put this experience down to another lesson learned!

2 comments:

  1. ... You don't have to be suspicious of everyone mum. Things aren't black or white, just exercising caution prevents these types of situations.
    -Danni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heather!
    That does not sound good. If you need help contact Don Winner at Panamaguide.com an online paper that confronts and publicises 'wrongs'. The mayor in Bocas has been in quite a bit of hot water, since burning down a man's home to gain his property for a friend. Rather corrupt fellow I hear. Be safe above all else, I hope it was something as trivial as a stolen camera or some such. Thinking of you, XOXO Rox

    ReplyDelete