Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mrs Bennett

I had a revelation the other day, which both shocked and dismayed me.

I was working in the Dock lounge, a lovely quiet, air conditioned lounge that overlooks the marina, it's a great place to go grab a book and relax on one of the comfy couches, or just sit quietly with a cup of coffee.  I sometimes take my computer and sit at one of the desks and work on my book, I love the peaceful quiet atmosphere in the room.  I was there the other day quietly working at the desk, another marina resident was also working on his computer, and a lady was sitting on the sofa reading.  It was all very quiet and peaceful, and I was enjoying getting a lot of work done, when two women came in, and walked around the room chatting loudly, completely oblivious to the fact that people were reading quietly or working.  I mumbled to myself, how rude and inconsiderate they were. I tried to ignore their loud chatter, but it was impossible, I reminded myself that the lounge was a common area after all, and just hoped they would go away.  After about 10 minutes (I was in a really bad mood by now) one of them said "OH look a TV"  I cursed under my breath, didn't these people have any consideration, the lady reading the book looked over at me raising her eyebrows and nodding in what appeared to be dismay at the two women's obvious lack of consideration.  One of the women picked up the TV control and turned it on, but there was no sound, she fiddled around for a bit then asked me if I knew how it worked, "No idea, sorry"  I said, "I come up here because it's quiet, there's a TV in the bar downstairs if you want to watch something."  The woman looked at me with a frown,  and then ignoring me turned and asked the lady who was reading.  "No idea either" she said turning her attention back to her book.
You would think that they would have taken the hint, wrong!  The woman then asked one of the marina staff, and everyone else that entered the room if they could get the sound to work, sadly for them, but happily for the rest of us, no one was able to get the sound working, so after about 30 minutes both women left.  "Thank goodness for that" I said quietly, as they left the room, the other residents in the lounge chuckled,  and the room returned once again to a peaceful retreat, where we could all return to what we had been doing before the rude interruption.

That night I was watching Pride & Prejudice, and laughing at Mrs Bennett who was  doing her usual bitching and complaining about everyone and everything, when it suddenly hit me, "OH CRAP"  that's me, that's who I am, that's what I do, I've become a Mrs bennett, a crabby, complaining, short tempered, old biddy!  The realization of this was quite a slap in the face.  I think I'm in need of some serious work on my tolerance, and forgiveness of others.  The question is, if I stop bitching will people stop reading my blog?  Nice is nice, but it's also boring, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. You can thank me, I screwed up the Tv stuff. We had Chris' dvd up there the other day, and I unplugged from from the tv instead of the dvd. Actually got the sound to work the other day, but no video. Not a bad thing. Loved meeting your family and hopefully see you in the San Blas
    Allayne s/v Audrey Paige

    ReplyDelete