Friday, March 16, 2012

Admitting your wrong…

I grew up in England, a country where ( I'm always saying) "what you see is what you get".  A country of solid, well built houses.  Houses that will still be standing centuries after we have passed on.  Estates that are passed down from generation to generation, and won't blow away in a strong gust of wind. The people of England are on the whole strong like the houses. For the most part the houses in general are not as grand, or showy as American houses,  they're usually much smaller, but then the country is smaller and so the space allocated is smaller.  

British people don't have blindingly bright parchment white teeth,  perfect hair, or surgically enhanced faces or bodies like we (the we is not including me) do here in America, consequently we're not a race of 'perfect' looking people.  But... in England (mostly) everything is real, and it lasts.  It's a place where if someone makes a mistake they can say "sorry" and genuinely mean it.  People are able to say "I was wrong,  I made a mistake or I shouldn't have done that". Maybe that's something thats seen here as making one less than perfect, and that's unacceptable,  I have yet to meet anyone who is actually perfect, or even close to it.

I love America, I really do love living here, America is an amazing country, and most of my friends now happen to be American, two of my children are now American citizen's, but one thing that I have always struggled with is that an American can never admit to being wrong, they will fight to the death, or pay any price, sacrifice just about anything, love, friendship, work anything rather than admit to having made a mistake, large or small… WHAT'S WITH THAT?  Everyone makes mistakes, its human to do so, its nothing to be ashamed of.  Whereas, as I see it lying to cover up mistakes is totally something to be ashamed of.

I have so much respect for people who are able to say sorry, or 'that was wrong of me'. There have been a couple of times with people that I previously had so much respect for, where they were so obviously in the wrong and yet insisted upon arguing until they were blue in the face rather than admit it, I stopped arguing, and they lost my respect.  It really does take an honest, decent, special person with integrity to admit when they are wrong.

 I believe that everyone here is brought up to believe they're the best, they're absoutly perfect, and  can do no wrong, so admitting to a wrong doing or a mistake is admitting to the world that they are less than perfect. In England we're taught that there's no shame in admitting to a mistake, or having accidentally done something wrong, one learns through mistakes, it takes a strong person to say "I'm sorry I was wrong".  I hate being wrong, and I often am, but I'm not ashamed to admit it, I hope that makes me a good person!

No comments:

Post a Comment