Thursday, August 11, 2011

What Alcohol?

So, I'm 4 days now into my self inflicted detox program, which basically means I've decided to give the old liver a rest and not have any alcohol for the next month.  Who would have thought me the tea-totaler, what are the odds?
For those of you that know me, you'll know what a hardship detox could be for me, I do love my red wine, and the odd glass of champagne, but I thought that while I'm enjoying my unstressful environment off Daisy, it would provide a perfect opportunity to do something positive for my body. So I'm going for it.

I honestly thought I would struggle without my daily glass (or 4 of wine), but I can truthfully say I haven't missed it at all, I'm actually quite proud of myself.

Living aboard Daisy for the last 4 years, I've hit the bottle whenever the going got rough, and that was quite often,  sailors are well known for their constant, copious, consumption of liquor, usually Rum, which I simply can't stomach.  OH and smoking, all sailors smoke, well I'm a hopeless sailor and don't conform on any level to the norm.  I hate rum and I don't smoke.  I like red wine, and champagne, OH and of course Margaritas, yummy yes please lots and lots of Margaritas.  But for the time being (hopefully a month)  I'm off all the good (or bad, depending upon how you look at it) stuff.

My other blog "Daisy's Galley" is suffering too from my current "let's be sensible" frame of mind, because I've stopped baking all the scrummy goodies I've been over indulging in of late.  I just can't get excited about low calorie, low carb food.
 I really should have been French, the French are skinny no matter what they eat, but mostly I should have been french because I love butter, lots and lots of butter.  Butter makes everything better, OH and cream, don't forget cream, particularly English clotted cream, which is quite simply the most decadent food ever.

My last post on "Daisy's Galley" was "Devon scones" with clotted cream and strawberry jam,



which were just the most mouth watering, heavenly, sweet, artery clogging, deliciousness ever.  Following my over indulgence with the scones, I did suffer a little with guilt, there are after all about 1000 calories in a teaspoon of clotted cream, so I probably had a weeks allowance of calories in one glorious mouth full.  I could hear my daughter Daniela's voice scolding me "MUM what are you doing?"

So anyway, for the time being at least, no more scones and clotted cream for me, and no alcohol either.

No comments:

Post a Comment