Saturday, August 6, 2011

Accident Black Spot

My Mum's little house is on the corner of a busy street, right next to a set of traffic lights, which has a ridiculously dangerous signal system that allows people to turn right across the flowing traffic.  In the short time I've  been here visiting Mum, there have probably been more than a dozen accidents, usually nothing more than a 'fender bender' but the accidents are constant, we hear the bumps and scrapes, and the police sirens every day.   Yesterday Mum and I stayed home for the day to look after my niece Poppy who was feeling under the weather.  We were all in the sitting room when we heard a loud crash, not the normal bump,  a crash and glass breaking followed by ear piercing screams.  I yelled at Mum to dial 999  as I ran outside (barefoot) and jumped over the garden wall, it was chaos, a land rover had driven head on into a little vehicle that was full of people, the father, husband, wife, two daughters a 6 week old baby and a dog. Both air bags had gone off and the people were struggling to get out of the vehicle, women were screaming, and smoke was pouring out from inside the car, the rear door opened and a dog and a little girl leaped into the street followed by a woman who immediately ran over to the Land Rover and started punching and swearing at the driver.  I ran over to the little girl who was screaming and crying hysterically and grabbed both her and the little dog and got them off the street away from the car, both men managed to get out followed by a young girl with a tiny baby, I got the two girls the baby and the dog into Mum's house away from the chaos in the road, the little girl was shaking and crying and holding her shoulder, but the older girl the baby and the little dog seemed fine.  Poppy took charge of the little girl, and I went back outside to see if I could do anything to help, but also the let them know where I had taken the children and the dog, the hysterical Mother was being dragged away from the Land Rover driver by some local work men, both the husband and the Father appeared to be in shock, I could already hear the sirens in the distance, and no one seemed to have any serious injuries, so I told the Father where his children were and went back inside to check on them.
The rest of the afternoon was spent with a house full of paramedics and police, poor Mum had to retire to the bedroom for the afternoon, because there was no room in her sitting-room.  Eventually everyone was taken off to Bristol hospital and Mum, Poppy and I were left to take care of the dog, a sweet little Westie, called Molly.
The car was towed to the side of the road, and the police gave me the keys so I could get all the belongings out, and wait for the hauling company to come and collect it.

Although Mum, Poppy and I were very happy to help this traumatic situation, it makes me wonder how many more accidents will occur before the authorities do something about the stupid traffic lights.

There were 2 other accidents that afternoon nothing serious thankfully.   Mum's neighbor told us that only a fatality will get the council's attention, as they don't regard it as an accident black spot.  The fact that someone will have to die before the council sits up and takes notice is ludicrous, in the mean time I'm putting together a first aid kit for Mum for future use...  I think it may be needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment