Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lemur tears

Mum and I were watching a lovely wildlife program this afternoon, about a family of Ring tailed Lemur in Madagascar. Fascinating filming and photography, it really makes me want to go there and see them, I'm wondering whether Bob will be there during his circumnavigation in 2012.   Lemurs are another endangered species, and I would love the opportunity to see them in their natural environment, while they still have one.  All their forests in Madagascar are fast being destroyed, torn down to create more and more farmland and grazing for cattle.

Photo: A ring-tailed lemur wrapped in its iconic tail


It was a lovely program and Mum and I were really getting into it, the film crew had given all the lemur's in the troop names, and one of the females had given birth to twins, which is unusual for this breed.  The twins were very small and it was a difficult task for the Mother to cope with them.
The program followed the twins progress for a few months, until one day the little male Lemur fell while playing in the trees, and landed on a log at the foot of the tree.  I watched the distraught Mother struggling unsuccessfully to pick up the injured baby and get it back up into the trees to safety. The struggle was heart wrenching and I was in floods of tears as she eventually climbed back up the tree alone to sit and call to her dead baby.
I love nature programs, but I inevitably end up in tears.

Copy and paste this link to see these incredible creatures in action
http://www.itvwild.com/search/Ring%20tailed%20Lemur

No comments:

Post a Comment