Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday June 14, Peter Island

I can't help waking up early when I'm in the islands. I was up again before 6am this morning. Its another glorious morning here but quite windy. We had quite a lot of rain yesterday, but as always the sun wasn't far behind. As I'm sitting here writing this a couple of Bottlenose Dolphins have swum into the bay. I'm hoping to go snorkeling today, Bob and I were so busy with jobs on the boat yesterday, that by the time we were ready to go heavy rain had moved in, so we had to shut up the boat and wait it out. By the time the rain had stopped it was almost dusk, and we never swim at dusk, or dawn as its feeding time and having spotted a couple of sharks in this bay, I think I'll stay safe.
I adore these quiet mornings, where I can sit up on deck enjoying a cup of tea and just watch the dolphins, and the pelicans, its so incredibly peaceful here. The waves gently lapping the shore, the birds performing their early morning chorus, an occasional squawk from one of the gulls chasing the pelicans trying to steal their catch.
Bob has been tracking a depression that's building off the coast of Africa, and heading this way. This morning the storm has stepped up another level and its now predicted that it will very possibly develop into a hurricane. All the weather experts have predicted this year will be a bad one for hurricane's, so we really need to get going South soon.
Edi arrives on Thursday, then we can head out, Saturday I hope, weather permitting, we need to keep a close eye on the storm, surviving one hurricane was enough for me, I'm not excited about dealing with another.
We plan to sail to St.Maarten where I will provision for the trip, then we plan to spend a couple of days snorkeling in Columbia Bay off St.Barths, before sailing on to Dominicia. Its only 7am here and its already too hot to sit in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment