Saturday, May 1, 2010

Submarines and Flamingos


Over the rest of the week Angie and I made a few more trips to the island to visit the Flamingos, soak up the sun, swim and just relax, it was quite simply wonderful.

As a thank you gift Angie treated me to a submarine ride. I have to say when she told me she had booked the trip as a surprise I was quite worried, I sometimes suffer with claustrophobia and the idea of being enclosed in a small space with 50 people 130 feet below the surface scared me to death. However, Angie had spent a lot of money on the tickets, and it was actually something I had always wanted to do, I just never had the guts to go ahead and actually do it, this was my chance, and as it turned out the trip was fantastic.

We managed to secure seats right at the front next to the pilot or captain or whatever he’s called, so we had windows to our left and in front. Once we were all aboard and the hatch was sealed we slowly started our descent to 130 feet, then proceeded to crawl along beside a shipwreck, before turning and coming back the same way, ensuring everyone got a really good view of the reef and the wreck. The marine life and coral reef were stunning, and I saw some of the largest barracuda I have ever seen, I was so mesmerized by the reef I totally forgot about where I was.

The submarine excursion was a thoroughly enjoyable trip, and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the island that is interested in marine life. For more information go to www.atlantisadventures.com/aruba/atlantis-submarine-expidition/
I was quite sad when it came time for Angie to leave, we had enjoyed so many fun times together during the week.

Now I have a week alone before Bob returns with Niki.

No comments:

Post a Comment