Saturday, May 1, 2010

Iguana's & Finch's...




During my week alone in Aruba I spent most of my time on the private island practicing being a professional beach bum. I became friends with the guys running the helicopter tour business at the end of the dock, I made friends with people I met on the island, and I became familiar with a whole bunch of iguanas that gathered by the helicopter booking office. I started taking them lettuce every morning, they were so tame they would eat out of my hands, they were obviously used to people feeding them, one of my neighbors on the dock would also take them a lettuce each morning, by the end of the week the iguanas would come running towards me as I approached the dock, one of them even climbed onto my lap. I quickly became very fond of them, and was able to identify some of them individually.

Back on the boat I had two little finches that flew inside the main cabin each morning and hop around the salon looking for food, I was quite relieved that Nicho-san was back in Ohio, or it could have been bloody.
I started putting a little basket of food on deck, to discourage them from coming inside the boat, it worked like a charm, but then I found that I had crumbs all over the cockpit and decks, and they would land on the table while I was eating and want to share my food, it was very cute but not terribly hygienic. “Bob’s going to kill me”, I thought.

As the week went on the finches became so tame they would land right next to me, showing no fear at all. I was also spending more time than I would choose cleaning up all their little pops all over the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment