Monday, September 3, 2012

Hard commute!

Most of us moan and bitch at times, usually all about nonsuch, nonsence, unimportant stupid stuff, I'm the worse for this, I'm always moaning or bitching about something, thinking "why me?" And occasionally something will happen to slap me back to reality with a real wake up call, then I realize things really ain't that bad! I've only been back in Grenada for five days, on Daisy working my little butt off sanding like a crazy person and getting ready to varnish. Daisy is alongside on the dock, actually on the T Dock, so we look out to the little island just off the far point of the peninsula off our part of Grenada. The distance from the mainland to the little island is probably less than a quarter of a mile (bear in mind I'm useless at guessing distance)
I believe the island is privately owned, and rumors run riot here at Le Phare Bleu as to the identity of owner of the island, is he a drug lord? or someone famous, or just a nobody with a shit load of cash, anyway he's built/building two amazing houses on the island, he has a dock and a very fancy motorboat, and he's apparently not very friendly. But then if you think about it, if you wanted to be surrounded by nosey parkers you wouldn't buy an island to isolate yourself on, would you? He obviously wants his privacy, but that doesn't stop people gossiping! Anyway, I digress, the point of this blog… The other morning, well several mornings actually, I've noticed this guy with a back pack and a long stick, walk down the VERY steep hill to the shore, climb carefully along the rocky shoreline and then proceed to make his way "on foot" across the ocean between the shore and the private island.
This photograph shows the distance he has to walk! He is sometimes up to his neck in water, but he carries a stick to locate his way, and obviously knows the path across. This journey takes him about 45 minutes. He then goes to work on the construction site, at five he makes his way back across the water to the mainland clambers along the rocky shore and walks up the very steep hill home… And I thought I had it tough, talk about a hard commute!

No comments:

Post a Comment