Monday, April 30, 2012

Where Will You Be?

Do you ever think about how much of our lives we actually control, and how much is decided for us, either through unexpected circumstance, choice, fate or blind intervention, do any of us really control our lives?  I wonder about this often.  For example: Are you today where you thought you would be, say 10/20 years ago?  Has life thrown you some totally unexpected  curve balls, surprise occurrences and opportunities that you chose to either accept or ignore, circumstances that completely changed the path you thought you were originally following?  
Sometimes I'm quite scared when I think about my future, mainly because of my crazy, roller coaster past, and when I look at where I am today, I'm not at all where I thought I would be at this time in my life.  It's not all been bad, but its certainly had it's moments, moments of crazy, off the wall, outside the box sort of terror and excitement, stuff I never even dreamed of.

Up to this exact point, my life has been quite extraordinary, I've been both blessed and cursed (depending upon how you view it) there has barely been a dull moment, and I've seen so much more of our wonderful planet (and ocean) than I ever dreamed I would.  The good side of that is that at 58 years of age I finally know what it is that I want from life, but sadly I'm a long way from actually getting it.

My wonderful husband, who I love more than my life, is currently pursuing his lifelong dream of sailing (something I hate with a passion), and getting ready to embark upon his life long dream, a circumnavigation starting in January 2013. 

So, at this stage in my life I'm not at all where I thought I would be, I'm living alone, I don't have a real home, my three wonderful children are spread across America from one coast to the next, my Mother and brother are 3000 miles away in England, and my husband is all over the place, either in the Caribbean on the boat, Europe, or briefly making flying visits to the States.  This truly is not where I thought I would be at this time in my life, but having said that, I still have goals, dreams and determination enough to make my dreams a reality.  
I truly believe that "If you are alive and breathing, you can make your dreams a reality, it only takes determination and effort." I just hope that I have the strength and determination enough to make my dreams a reality too :o)  This time next year I could be anywhere, who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment