Thursday, July 21, 2011

Kruger Park Safari

So, while in South Africa recently I ticked off another "to do" wish on my bucket list, and did something I have always dreamed about, I went on safari.

Leopard

I absolutely love animals, in truth I prefer them to most people.  I've never been much of a fan of zoo's, but I realize that for many it's the only opportunity to actually see these fabulous creatures alive.  Many zoo's do a great deal for the conservation of endangered spices, so I'm not knocking them, I just hate seeing animals in cages.  Have you ever looked into the eyes of a caged animal, you will never see anything so sad, it breaks my heart.

Male Impala

Anyway moving on...  During our week long stay at Marloth Park, my sister-in-law Ruth and her husband Gary, took Bob and I to the Kruger Park.  Our day started at 4:30am, there were 7 of us all together staying at the lodge, so getting everyone ready and out of the door on time was quite a task, but we arrived at the Crocodile Bridge Gate of the Kruger National Park at exactly 6am as they were opening.

Lilac Crested Roller

The Park is one of the largest game reserves in Africa.  It covers 7,332 sq miles and extends 220 miles from north to south, and 40 miles from east to west. The Kruger is home to some of the most colorful birds I've ever seen, this Lilac Crested Roller is so common you see them everywhere.

Our first animal sighting and within only a couple of minutes from the gate, was of a White Rhino

White Rhino

As we continued our drive through the park we managed to see all of the big 5, Elephant, Rhino. Leopard, Buffalo, and lion.
We were really fortunate to spot a leopard in a tree with a kill, and a couple of lion's with a kill, it looked like a baby zebra, which typically it made me cry. They were a good distance away, and even though I was using a great zoom lense, sadly I couldn't get any good shots through the long grass.

We didn't see any cheetahs, they're quite elusive, and you have to be very, very lucky to spot one. In over 30 years of visiting the park Ruth has only seen cheetahs twice.  As you drive around the park it's easy to find exciting sightings as there will be a group of cars all stopped watching.  We took mainly the less traveled dirt roads through the park, so we didn't see many other cars, and were able to get some great photo opportunities. Baby elephants and baby giraffes that were so adorable were among my favorite sightings.

So sweet it made me quite tearful


July, although cold turned out to be a great time to go, there were absolutely no mosquitoes, a huge relief as malaria is quite prevalent still in South Africa.
A safari has been on my wish list for years, and having finally done it, I wasn't disappointed, it's a vacation I can highly recommend, possibly my best vacation ever.  I really hope I get to go back and do it again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment