Sunday, July 4, 2010

Tuesday 29th June

Location: Simpson Lagoon St.Maarten, to Columbia Bay, St.Barths

We finally left the Lagoon this morning, as per normal, Morgan style; we were running a little behind with all our leaving preparations in order to make the 9:30am bridge opening. The first problem with only 5 minutes to go, was that the anchor was stuck and I couldn’t bring it up, the hydraulics were working overtime but the anchor refused to budge and was steadily pulling out more chain. Eventually with a little rocking back and forth the anchor came lose and we were off. Then we faced the next problem, the instruments started beeping, (and please forgive me here, I’m not at all technologically minded) we had no instrument readings, but we had to get through the bridge so we just went for it. We just made it in time, and then dropped anchor in Simpson Bay so Bob could locate the problem, which turned out to be water in the electronics.
Meanwhile, Edi and I were up on deck having kittens because we were swinging close to, and over the top of a mooring, Edi was concerned about the lines getting entangled in our prop. We brought chain in, and then let it out again as Daisy swung to and fro in the wind, but luck was with us and we cleverly averted disaster. Bob managed a quick temporary fix on the electronics, and within minutes we were quickly underway again.
The weather was glorious, lots of sun and 20+ knots of wind, so we were able to raise the sails and head over to St.Barths with a great wind, true to form as soon as the sails were set, I fell asleep.
90 minutes later we were dropping anchor in Gustavia. Bob went ashore to customs to do the check in, while Edi and I stayed on the boat.
I prepared lunch, a mixed vegetable salad with peppered smoked mackerel, I opened a lovely bottle of Rose wine, and as soon as Bob returned we motored around to Columbia Bay, my favorite Bay in the Caribbean. We put the bimini back up to protect us from the sun, which was blisteringly hot, and then sat and enjoyed our lunch. Turtles were surfacing all around us and we couldn’t wait to get in the water. I couldn’t even wait for my lunch to go down, I was in the water swimming with the turtles the minute I finished eating, eventually Bob and Edi joined me and we snorkeled around the bay for about 30 minutes. It was wonderful to swim with the turtles again, they’re so used to people here they’re quite tame, and you can easily swim next to them.
Late afternoon Bob fixed the problem with the instruments, and we put the water-maker on, as we had totally run the tank dry. Then just all sat back drinking beer and nursing our sunburn. Without the protection of the bimini we had all got really badly burnt, even with all the lotion we were applying. Edi’s face and my back were bright scarlet. Glowing…
Barbeque tonight, and a relaxing day tomorrow, wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment